National Society
Daughters of the American Revolution

Cherokee Outlet Chapter

Alva, Oklahoma

Wall

 

DAR Woods County Centennial Wall, 1892-1993

In 1990, the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution celebrated the centennial of its founding. To commemorate the event as well to anticipate the 100-year anniversary of the Cherokee Outlet's "Land Run of 1893, the Cherokee Outlet Chapter NSDAR in Alva, Oklahoma, began a project to construct a memorial wall and plaza. The wall and plaza was completed in time to celebrate the centennial of the land run. The wall is constructed of more than 2,500 bricks engraved with some of those who had made the run, as well as early day settlers of Wood County. Also included are those who have lived in the county during the first 100 years following the historic run. The wall along with its plaza stands on the southeast corner of the courthouse square in Alva and is one of the most visited and photographed attractions in the city.

Oklahoma celebrated its centennial in 2007. To recognize the historic occasion of 100 years of statehood, the Cherokee Outlet Chapter NSDAR raised funds to add two sculptures to the wall's plaza. These beautiful statues, sculpted from black granite and standing almost five-fee tall, represent a pioneer couple staking their claim to a homestead in what was once known as "M" County, Oklahoma Territory. Artist Calvin L. Graybill, the husband of Cherokee Outlet Chapter's Regent (2004-2008) Verna Graybill, designed the statues.

 
 

A History of Our Chapter:

Cherokee Outlet Chapter, NSDAR, was organized on November 12, 1913, chiefly through the efforts of Mrs. Grand Grumbine, wife of the fourth President of Northwestern State Normal School (now NWOSU). Two members of the chapter have served as State Regents, Mrs. Grant Grumbine (1919-1921) and Mrs. Wilson W. Starr (1952-1954).

In 1922 the chapter purchased and donated to Woods County, a red granite marker inscribed with the names of the County's war dead. This monument is located east of the present courthouse.

In 1950 another historical marker was erected by the DAR. This monument marks the 1893 location of the Federal Land Office and is located north of the post office at the corner of Government and Flynn Streets. Those who made the Cherokee Outlet Land Run had to register at this post office to obtain their homestead permit.

The most recent chapter projects have been the establishment of an antique glass and chine collection in the DAR Room of the Cherokee Strip Museum, a redbud tree planted on the lawn of the U.S. Post Office, and a walnut tree planted on the campus of Northwestern Oklahoma State University.

Over the years the chapter has worked to preserve local history and to encourage patriotism and civic responsibility. The chapter has also worked for and contributed to state and national DAR projects.


Our 2014 - 2016 Chapter Officers:

Regent  Billie D. Buckles
Vice Regent  Verna L. Graybill
Chaplain  Billie Buckles
Recording Secretary  Louise Prigmore
Corresponding Secretary  Louise Prigmore
Treasurer  Mary Shocklee
Registrar  Mary Barker
Historian  Phyllis Wiersig
Librarian  Verna Graybill
Parliamentarian  Joyce Dixon

Links:

 National Society Daughters of the American Revolution.

 Oklahoma State Society

 

For further information about the Cherokee Outlet Chapter, 
please contact , Billie D. Buckles

 
WEBMASTER
Updated on 07/16/2014