History of Sand Springs and Osage Hills Chapter, NSDAR
The earliest known settlement in the area dates 1826, when Cherokee Indians traveling the Trail of Tears to Indian Territory found our natural springs. In 1828 a new U.S. treaty gave the area to the Creek Nation, again removed the Cherokees. After the Civil War, Creek veteran Lt. Thomas Adams and his family settled here, and the location became known as Adam Springs. White settlers later replaced most Creeks and renamed the locale Sand Springs. Only a small cemetery, commemorated by the Daughters of the American Revolution, is left of the Creek settlement.
The modern history of Sand Springs began in 1908 when wealthy oil man and philanthropist Charles Page bought 160 acres and laid out the newest town in Tulsa County. He incorporated the city with its 400 people in 1912. then Page, driven by memories of his widowed mother's struggles to raise a family, housed 27 children abandoned by a Tulsa orphanage. This small beginning in a tent grew to the massive Charles Page Home and Widows' Colony that still houses families in need. By 1915 even the New York times recognized Page's major accomplishments, which eventually included starting the Sand Springs Railway and many other businesses, as well as helping secure safe drinking water for his city and Tulsa.
The history of Osage Hills Chapter began in 1942 when State Regent Mrs. Nathan R. Patterson of Tulsa failed in an attempt to form a chapter. In September 1969, State Regent Mrs. Charles H. Rudy of Sand Springs, assisted by Mrs. Melvin Race, Organizing Secretary of Shawnee, Oklahoma, met with an interested group in Mrs. Rudy's home. Mrs. A. W. Swift of Sand Springs, a member of Indian Territory Chapter in Muskogee, was Organizing Regent. They chose our chapter name from another Indian tribe, as this beautiful area of rolling hills was briefly part of the Osage Nation. The chapter organization was completed and the charter approved December 10, 1970.
Osage Hills Chapter Officers 2012-2014
|Chapter Regent||Linda Wilbanks|
|Vice Regent||Gerrie Holladay|
|Recording Secretary||Peggy Edmondson|
|Corresponding Secretary||Betty Douglas|
|Parliamentarian||Mary Lea Forsythe|
If you are interested in learning more about the Osage Hills Chapter, contact:
The Osage Hills Chapter meets on the third Thursday of each month, September through May. We encourage, prospective members to visit one of our meetings so we can tell you more about our chapter and our special interests.
The Daughters of the American revolution are committed to God, Home, and Country, and the promotion and preservation of education, history, and patriotism in our schools and our communities.
|National Society Daughters of the American Revolution|
|Oklahoma Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution|
|Design of website by Linda Wilbanks and Sally Bright|