|Ponca City Chapter gives several awards and scholarships to students in local schools:|
|American History Essay Contest|
|Pearl Pruitt Scholarship - established by the chapter|
|W. B Clark Scholarship - established by the chapter|
|DAR Good Citizen Awards|
|Outstanding Work in American History Award|
|Sponsors a student attending Girls State|
Officers of the Ponca City Chapter, 2010-2012:
|Sue Allen||Chapter Regent|
|Mary Bailey||First Vice Regent|
|Paula Denson||Second Vice Regent|
|Carol Bouldin||Recording Secretary|
|Jacque Hunsucker||Corresponding Secretary|
History of the Ponca City Chapter:
The Ponca City Chapter, Oklahoma Society Daughters of the American Revolution, was organized in 1918. Mrs. J. W. Wilker was organizing Regent with 24 members. The parent chapter was Kay County Chapter. The Chapter has repeatedly met the requirements for National Gold Honor Roll and has always generously supported DAR schools and projects as well as local schools and civic groups.
Ponca City Chapter members have served the Oklahoma Society DAR annually as officers and chairmen of state committees. The State Conference met at Ponca City in 1924, 1937, and 1966. In 1941 the Chapter presented a cherry wood grandfather's clock with original brass works made during the Revolutionary era to the state museum in Oklahoma City.
Many historical monuments have been established by the Chapter, including a memorial to Veterans of World War I, a monument honoring pioneers who made the land run into Oklahoma, and a monument at the site of a spring used as the first settlers' original source of water in Ponca City.
A book entitled "The Last Run" which has a collection of oral histories from pioneer citizens in the Ponca City area, has been compiled and published by the Chapter. Genealogy and history books for research have been donated to the Ponca City Library.
A museum, patterned after the museum at the DAR National headquarters in Washington, D.C., was opened by the Chapter on February 20, 1972. The room now houses over 300 items, one of which is an 1838 spinning wheel and also what is reported to be an original Revolutionary Flag.
For the official Diamond Jubilee Project #743 commemorating Oklahoma' 75th anniversary as a state, Ponca City Chapter' book of "Marriage Records, 1893-1900" was compiled by member Doris Stanley and published in June 1983. Volume III of "Marriage Records for Kay County, 1900-1902" was published in 1986.
The Sarah Harrison Chapter of Blackwell merged with the Ponca City Chapter in June of 1998. Sarah Harrison Chapter, OSDAR, was organized by Mrs. Cordelia Lunsford Beatty on February 11, 1914. There were 26 charter members from Kay County towns of Blackwell, Ponca City, Tonkawa and Newkirk. The members chose the name of Mrs. Beatty's grandmother, Sarah Harrison who was descended from Benjamin Harrison, as the chapter name.
In 1925 the Sarah Harrison Chapter presented a chair to Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C., with the inscription "Sarah Harrison Chapter, Blackwell, Oklahoma, presents this chair in memory of our valiant ancestors." In 1954 a member of the Chapter served as a Page at Continental Congress in Washington, D.C.
Tonkawa Chapter merged with the Ponca City Chapter on June 5, 1999. The Tonkawa Chapter, OSDAR, was organized March 18, 1926, with 15 charter members. Mrs. R. C. Whinery served as organizing regent. Through the 70 years as a chapter they were active in every facet of the organization and contributed to all projects. Many members attended Continental Congress where one chapter member served as a Page. On the state level, several members have served as chairmen of various committees. One member was selected as the Outstanding State Junior Member.
The Chapter has presented the Excellence in American History Award at Tonkawa High School since 1928 and at Northern Oklahoma College since 1930.
To apply for membership, or for further information about the Ponca City Chapter, e-mail Sue Allen, Chapter Regent.